The Certificate in Editorial Practices is appropriate for students who desire to expand or sharpen skills already in use in the workplace, or for students who wish to study the technical aspects of editing for the first time. Completion of the certificate requires students to produce documents with a high degree of grammatical accuracy and consistency of style appropriate to diverse modes of print communication. Students must become conversant with publication processes from story idea to print.
The program is designed to prepare completers of the Certificate in Editorial Practices to meet the following outcomes:
- Utilize editing and proofreading symbols accurately
- Copyedit with a high degree of accuracy and speed for consistency of style, grammar, and syntax
- Proofread typewritten material with a high degree of accuracy and speed
- Apply house styles and other styles as appropriate
- Manage electronic files effectively for print production
Special accommodations may be requested online by requesting ADA Accommodations. All requests must be received at least four weeks prior to the class start date to be fulfilled.