Landscape Design encompasses the planning and layout of landscape elements and plants for beautification or practical purposes. The Landscape Design Certificate program provides students with the essentials of designing an outdoor area, whether a home backyard, community garden, or commercial space. This includes the purpose and arrangement of design features such as walls and walkways, and plant selection based upon the environment and landscape purpose. Emphasis is placed on understanding plant life, identification of various plants, and the effective use of plants in landscaping. Field trips provide students hands-on practical experience to complement in-class activities and sharpen skills in effective design. Best practices in environmentally responsible techniques are also highlighted.
This certificate program is designed for people of all knowledge and skill levels, from novice gardener to professional practitioner, who are pursuing continuing education or need a refresher course.
Upon completion of the certificate program, students will be able to:
- Describe the biological processes of normal plant growth and development, and pathology.
- Identify and distinguish plant types and classifications (plant taxonomy).
- Use drafting and construction techniques to compose and interpret landscape drawings.
- Apply industry-standard practice(s) for proper installation of common design features (such as walls, walkways, and stairs), including legal and regulatory requirements.
- Accurately perform mathematical calculations relative to construction.
- Appropriately select plant types based upon landscape design.
Some courses in the Natural History Field Studies Certificate program can be taken as a substitution, with approval from the Vice President of Evening and Weekend Programs prior to enrollment. See the Natural History Field Studies curriculum for a list of eligible courses.
Special accommodations may be requested online by requesting ADA Accommodations. All requests must be received at least four weeks prior to the class start date to be fulfilled.