As a member of a legal team, the paralegal must understand the professional terms, proceedings, and background of the American legal system. The certificate of accomplishment program in Paralegal Studies prepares the participant for a career as a paralegal, providing the educational foundation that assists paralegals in becoming ethical, professional, and effective members of a legal services delivery team. Courses are offered in ethics, torts, writing and research, and specialized fields: immigration, environmental, criminal, wills and probate law.
Suited for individuals who want to upgrade their skills, enhance their careers, or enter a new profession, this program builds on skills developed in non-legal fields to provide a better understanding of the legal system.
Upon completion of the certificate program, students will be able to:
- Articulate the framework of the state and federal court systems.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the law and its impact on the legal system and society.
- Communicate effectively and professionally in both oral and written forms.
- Read critically and use written material to support logical reasoning and problem-solving.
- Conduct legal research using a variety of resources, such as publications, computer software, and the Internet.
- Draft and organize legal documents, pleadings, motions, and other correspondence typically assigned to paralegals
- Analyze and ethically solve legal problems and synthesize legal concepts
- Apply the principles of appropriate professional standards and ethics.
- Assist with case management.
- This program consists of five required courses and nine elective courses.
You may apply for this program online. For more information about this or other certificates, please contact the certificate counselor at (202) 314-3320 or email@example.com.
Special accommodations may be requested online by requesting ADA Accommodations. All requests must be received at least four weeks prior to the class start date to be fulfilled.